Sunday, October 27, 2013

Whiteface Auto Road: 10/27/13

I didn't want to throw myself into the crazy Killington early season shitshow, and I wanted to extend my streak to four straight years of skiing on natural snow in October.

So I picked up a couple of girls who just wanted to go for a hike and I hit the Auto Road at Whiteface for a little low angle fun.


There wasn't a lot of snow at the toll house, but we started to see snow on the sides of the road pretty quickly. After about a mile or so, there was probably enough snow to ski on. I waited a little longer to put my skis on.


The snow started to look pretty damn good:


And it got better and deeper:



We went up to just above the Lake Placid turn before we turned around. The view was slightly better than the last time I was up here, but still not great (loving the snow, though):


Oh the way down, I was just psyched to be skiing. Ace took some pics for me:




So instead of a shitshow, I had a shit eating grin:



I rolled on down, just enjoying sliding on snow again. Mountain biking is fun, but nothing compares to the feeling of skiing:


I skied until the snow ran out, and I took off the skis and boots:


The walk down was a piece of cake. And the weather got nicer, too:


It was even sunny in spots on the drive home:


I can't say enough how much I prefer this kind of skiing to the craziness at Killington or Sunday River. It was peaceful, fun, and a really good time (great company, too). Could it have used a little more pitch? Sure. But at this point in the season, I'll take what I can get. Like I said, I'm just happy to be sliding on snow again.

4 comments:

  1. To me, the Toll Road is the traditional start of the NY season. Dig it Matt, looks great, sooo jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot more fun than sitting in the car for 11 hours, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pilgrimage to the pow. So right about the Auto Road vs. K-Mart. I've got a birthday coming in about 10 days - may have to make my own pilgrimage then.

    ReplyDelete