Friday, October 9, 2009

Welcome to the Jumble

Okay, here we go.  My name is Matt, and I'm a skier.  That's the most important thing about me, and it's always been the driving force behind everything that's ever happened to me.  When I was in high school, I was on the Ski Team.  When I went to college, I picked the one that was closest to great skiing (Colby College - about an hour and ten minutes from Sugarloaf).  When I studied abroad, I went to a country with skiing (New Zealand).  When graduated college, I started teaching skiing and I met my future wife (who was also an instructor) at the mountain.  My favorite thing to do is Ski.  My favorite movies are Ski Movies.  My favorite songs are songs that are in Ski Movies (because they remind me of skiing).

So, I'm pretty obsessed.  The problem is, I only get to ski about 50 days a year.  I realize that this a lot for most people, but I'm not most people.  I hold down a regular job during the week, and mostly get out to ski on weekends, holidays, vacations, and "sick" days (read: powder days).  My wife and I bought a house in 2006 and got married in 2007.  She has a similar job, and she has a similar quandary.  We seem to be in a constant struggle to try to convince ourselves that we're on the right path.  Should we quit our jobs and sell the house?  Should we move out west to some sweet ski town (where we can see the lifts from our windows)?  Will this lead to a "happily ever after" ending?  Or a life of crippling debt and depression?  This blog is (hopefully) going to be a chronicle of the coming years.  What life will we choose?  I don't even think that we know . . .    

No comments:

Post a Comment