Friday, May 20, 2011

Bike Commuting

Well, I took part in National Bike Commuting day today. It was . . . interesting. The ride in was kind of rough. Really threatening weather to start out:


And it soon went from bad to worse.  I ended up riding a major route with a lot of traffic, combined with a drenching rain . . .


Eventually, it let up a little (and I was able to get off the main roads), and I was finally feeling good about the road in.


I finally got into work (a little late), and I found that 2 other people participated in Bike to Work Day.  Actually, these guys always ride their bikes in (I see them every day) so really, I was the only person who partook.


I gotta say, I wasn't too too excited about biking in.  It's kind of stressful (possibly more stressful than driving in).  Plus I have to get up earlier - something I hate to do.  And all I got out of it was about $2.00 - the equivalent of the half gallon of gas it usually takes me to drive the 12.8 miles to the office.

On the way home, I waited for a break in the weather (so I wouldn't be riding through rain again), and got out on the roads.


Needless to say, it was a lot better than the morning ride.  I was able to take off my raincoat, ride in short sleeves and enjoy the biking.  I even saw a deer bounding through the forest next to me.  I was feeling so good, I chose a different route, one that included less main thoroughfares and more secluded bike paths.  It got really, really nice.





I'm never going to be like this guy.  But I can see myself doing this a little more throughout the summer.  I felt really good after the ride today.  Besides the woman who honked at me, and the weird dude who let out a guttural scream in my direction, there were no problems at all.  Traffic seemed a little heavier today (heavier than the time I commuted earlier in the year), but drivers were mostly courteous.  I still saw a couple of dirt paths that I wanted to explore:


And my bottom bracket developed a bit of a clicking sound.  I'm hoping that will go away when my bike dries out a little (I realize that's not likely).  All in all, though, I had a pretty good time bike commuting today.  I felt fitter, happier, and more prepared for the 100 mile Tour de Cure that I'm riding on June 5th.  I'm looking forward to a few more bike commutes before then.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a nice ride home. I ride just about every day and the weather can definitely be a drag sometimes. I recently picked up a folding bike. and I'm lucky enough that where I live I can fold my bike and take public transit part way when the weather is bad. Keep it up! It's definitely rewarding to ride!

    ReplyDelete